Friday, October 24, 2014

Carpool drop off

My daughter's school started at the crack of dawn! If she rides the bus, she has to be dressed, fed, and waiting outside by 6:10. I think this is insane both for her and myself! (Who has time to brush their teeth and toast pop tarts that early in the am?!?) So our only other option was carpool line. The kids and I would pile into the car and head out on our 1 mike adventure to school. Now, as I said, I don't like mornings, especially early mornings. I would normally wake up, throw on some sweat pants, coax my medusa hair into a ponytail and head out the door. However, my laziness was abruptly brought to a screeching halt when I saw the other moms in carpool line. They were fully dressed, hair and makeup done and ready for their day. I didn't want to embarrass my baby, so I conceded and joined the "popular" group by getting ready before school. 

One night after work, a few of my co-workers went out for drinks. I joined them  even though it was a school night and even stayed out late! I was home by midnight but that's a good hour and a half later than this grandmaw mommy normally makes it. Anyway, add a slight hangover to already treacherous mornings and you have a not so happy mommy who just wants to crawl back in bed! I gave into temptation that day and knew I would get away with "sneaking" through the carpool line unnoticed. We pulled up, an ever so eager student opened the back door to let Hailey out and I heard a clank. The student leaned over and I saw her face change. It was a face I was familiar with but couldn't place at that exact moment. She placed something in my backseat and looked at me politely saying with a slight giggle, "have a good day!" Her eyes had wandered to my console while she said it so I looked down to see what she was looking at. 

Wine glasses, damnit! How did I miss those and what idiot friend of mine put them in my console? So I peered into the backseat to see what she placed back in my car. An empty wine bottle! Double damnit! It then dawned on me what the look on that innocent student's face was that was so familiar to me...it was the face of judgement!! I had just driven through carpool line at a Cathoiloc school looking like 30 shades of a hot mess, with wine glasses in my console and an empty wine bottle fell out of the car while dropping off my 3rd grader!
All of my time and effort of trying to not embarrass my child had just been catapulted out the window with a single clank! 
That was the day we decided to stop saving for college and start saving for therapy bills! It just seems more realistic!

No comments:

Post a Comment